Saturday, November 1, 2008

Super Woman? Heck...No!

A mommy, a wife, a career woman and a student...am I a super woman? NO, I have never felt like I'm one and I'm definitely not one indeed. I had a few people who asked me how on earth am I able to juggle all the four roles at the same time.

Well, for a start, I'm not the best mommy in the universe, the greatest wife on this planet, the most hardworking worker at my workplace and the most excellent student among my coursemates. It's not an easy peasy task to wear all the four hats at one go but I don't have much choice especially when it comes to the fourth hat. Being in my field of work, I have to move one step ahead or else I'll remain rooted at the very place I am now. With the support, blessing and encouragement from my DH, I hope to finish my studies within two and a half years time.

There are a few things that I had learnt within these few months. In order to maintain my sanity and health while having to juggle so many things, I had chosen to cut back, step down and eliminate what's unnecessary in my life. I stopped being the slave for my house. So what if my floor is left unswept for a few day? (I'd wait for my parttime cleaners to do that task, anyway.) Will my world crash if I fold my laundry only once a week? Is it a sin if my living room sometimes look as though it was just hit by a tornado? No...

Another thing is that I learnt to love myself. Yes, I love my lil' heroes, my DH, my parents, my siblings, my friends and yaddah yaddah yaddah. Just like some women, there was a stage when I was mentally, physically and spiritually exhausted trying to appear perfect in the eyes of others. That's when I realised that I had forgotten to love myself. Why bother trying hard to be perfect if I don't have time to love myself? I believe in this: no one will love us more than we love ourselves. Thus, I took time out to do things that I want to do and love doing. I took up yoga and I started this blog. I also learn to reward myself once in a while and the reward need not necessarily come in an expensive package. It can be just a day at home alone doing nothing but eating and sleeping (yeah, sounds unproductive but who cares since it's stress-free).

Do I feel guilty for showing my flaws? Never. I was never perfect, I am not perfect and I doubt if I'll ever be perfect one day. After all, I don't want to end up being a loony, bitter and depressed mommy, wife, worker and student. Oh, and above all, I have to say that support and understanding from our love ones would be very important important as well if we have too many things on our plate. Communicating and sharing with them certainly make the burden and stress lesser. :)


p/s: One thing for sure that I know is that it's better being an average person than striving to be perfect and end up looking like this at the end of the day...
.
.
.






9 comments:

April Elizabeth said...

you sure sound like a super woman to me.

Shining Star said...

yeah, i agree with april...

Ai-Ling said...

definitely not one n won't be one and that's for sure :)

Calvin Soo KJ said...

superwoman or not, you are doing great with your family. sorry for not blog hopping for some time. going crazy with my job. cheerio...

Ai-Ling said...

thanks, calvin. take time out for yourself. ME TIME is important. don't become crazy because of your job ;)

jennykoo said...

Ai Ling, I love this post! I can totally relate to everything that you've written... I agree that prioritization is incredibly important, to the extent that sometimes I make decisions that I'm sorry about, or that I wish I didn't have to make, but realize the importance of making them all the same.

Legal Cat said...

Am also being a student after some time and no kid at that. Respect someone like you who have to juggle more..

HuiMing said...

hello ailing (:
you make me look forward to motherhood. There is so much satisfaction (: Although you're not a superwoman, im sure you're doing a great job juggling the four roles! Hang in there!

mysimplefood said...

Everyone in life has to handle different things and different challenges. As long as you are doing it the best to your ability and you are happy, then you are fine.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin